Thursday, February 25, 2016

Cessna 152, N152LC, Inter-state Aviation Inc: Accident occurred February 24, 2016 at Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport (KPUW), Pullman, Whitman County, Washington


NTSB Identification: WPR16LA076 
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, February 24, 2016 in Pullman, WA
Aircraft: CESSNA 152, registration: N152LC
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On February 24, 2016, about 1300 Pacific standard time, a Cessna 152, N152LC, sustained substantial damage when it veered off the runway, ground looped, and came to rest inverted at Pullman/Moscow Regional Airport (PUW), Pullman, Washington. The private pilot, the sole occupant, was not injured. The airplane sustained substantial damage to both wings and tail section. The airplane was registered to, and operated by, Inter-State Aviation, Inc., under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the local flight that originated from PUW at 1215.

The pilot reported that after a touchdown, the nose gear collapsed. Subsequently, the airplane veered off the right side of the runway, ground looped and came to rest inverted.

FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Spokane FSDO-13

A small single-engine plane flown solo by a student pilot crashed after a hard landing at the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport on Wednesday afternoon.

Airport Manager Tony Bean said the airplane touched down hard enough it broke the nose gear on the plane, and the pilot lost control, flipping the aircraft over in green space next to the runway.

Bean said he and the entire airport fire operations team were at the aircraft in about three minutes.

He said Interstate Aviation was on the scene about one minute later.

The pilot refused any medical assistance, was not injured and walked away from the crash, Bean said.

Before the runway could reopen, Bean said it is policy for an inspector from the Flight Standards District Office in Spokane to inspect the aircraft to ensure it is safe to be moved and document the crash.

“Broken planes are one thing, broken people are another,” Bean said. “You can fix broken planes.”

Bean said an inspector for the office was in Moscow and the runway was closed for about two hours to remove the plane, which resulted in one 30 minute delay for the 3 p.m. incoming Alaska Airlines flight.

The crash is the first for Bean since he came to the airport in June 2011 from the Yellowstone Airport in Montana, he said.

Original article can be found here:

No comments: