Thursday, February 18, 2016

Plane crash victims' family members want to thank person who called 911: Piper PA-28-181 Archer II, N2209W, Electrical Training USA LLC, fatal accident occurred February 11, 2016 in the Gulf of Mexico offshore of Destin, Okaloosa County, Florida

Family members of Sheryl Roe and Jim Shumberg, a Texas couple killed last week in a Destin plane crash, are hoping to find and thank the man who called 911.

Jim Shumberg & Sheryl Roe were killed in small plane crash near Destin, Florida.

Family members of the Texas couple killed in Thursday’s plane crash near Destin have someone they want to thank.

They just don’t know who he is.

A man who identified himself as a runner on the beach at the time of the crash called 911, alerting authorities that a plane had crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.

Within two hours, crews had found the body of Sheryl Roe. Less than an hour later, they recovered the body of her long-time companion and pilot, Jim Shumberg.

“We were so blessed that he just happened to be there at that moment,” said Tina Brewster, Roe’s sister, of the 911 caller. “If he hadn’t, we never would have known what happened.

“I personally feel that it was fate that he was there.”

Brewster said they’re hoping to personally thank the man, who was apparently staying at Silver Beach West. Public record law prohibits the release of the man’s name, or the contents of the recording of the 911 call.

Roe and Shumberg were frequent visitors to the area, with Roe having acupuncture offices in Navarre and Fort Walton Beach. The two had been together for more than 20 years, according to family members.

Brewster said her sister loved to fly with Shumberg.

“Jim was a seasoned pilot,” she said. “I let him take my children up in that plane. Absolutely none of us think that this was something he did.”

The National Transportation Safety Board has not released its preliminary findings of the crash. Brewster said family members are awaiting additional information anxiously.

“There’s a lot of people drumming their fingers, waiting for that report,” she said. “That small plane was his baby. He absolutely loved that plane.”

The plane went down in clear weather near Henderson Beach State Park just before 7 p.m. Thursday.

The couple, who were in their 60s, met at what family members recall as an Eagles concert more than 20 years ago.

Shumberg had been flying for about five years, Roe said.

“Jim was an amazing man,” she said. “After all Sheryl had been through, she had some big walls up, but in the end they were perfect for each other.

“It’s one small consolation that they were together when this happened, because neither could have made it without the other.”

Story and photo:

Electrical Training USA LLC:

NTSB Identification: ERA16LA106
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, February 12, 2016 in Destin, FL
Aircraft: PIPER PA28, registration: N2209W
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On February 12, 2016, about 1850 central standard time (CST), a Piper PA-28-181, N2209W, was destroyed during collision with water while maneuvering to land at Destin Executive Airport (DTS), Destin, Florida. The private pilot and a passenger were fatally injured. The flight departed Pearland Regional Airport (LVJ), Pearland, Texas, about 1715. Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the personal flight, which was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91.

According to preliminary radar data from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), as well as witness accounts, the airplane approached DTS from the west, and transitioned along the shore on the south side of the airport for landing on runway 32. Witnesses reported the pilot announced a go-around on the airport's common traffic advisory frequency (CTAF), and the radar track depicted the airplane crossing the approach end of runway 32, then turning upwind on the east side of the runway. The airplane continued in a left-hand circuit around the airport and its altitude varied between 500 and 700 feet mean sea level (msl).

The radar depicted a left turn in a location consistent with a left base turn for landing on runway 32. Instead of continuing to an approximate heading of 050 degrees for the base leg of the traffic pattern, the airplane rolled out on an approximate heading of 090 degrees, and flew through the final approach course, west to east, as it tracked parallel to the coast. The airplane then turned 90 degrees to the south and tracked out over the water. The last radar target showed the airplane at 175 feet msl at 128 knots groundspeed.

A witness who was monitoring the CTAF as he approached the airport in his own airplane reported he heard the accident pilot announce his go-around and his positions as he circumnavigated the airport. The pilot's last radio call announced he would be "circling somewhere." There were no further communications from the accident airplane. The witness reported windy conditions as he approached DTS, and that conditions were "extremely bumpy" below 300 feet.

A witness who was jogging in an easterly direction along the beach reported to an FAA inspector that his attention was drawn to the airplane as it crossed the beach and headed south over the water. He stated that the engine was running, but the front of the airplane was illuminated as if the engine was "on fire." The witness stated he thought the airplane was in a wings-level attitude, not turning, but descending rapidly. He said that when the airplane struck the water, he heard an explosion and the light at the front of the airplane "went out."

According to FAA records, the pilot held a private pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single engine land. His most recent FAA third-class medical certificate was issued on March 3, 2014. The pilot reported 306 total hours of flight experience on that date. The pilot did not possess an instrument rating.

The four-seat, single-engine, low-wing airplane was manufactured in 1979 and was equipped with a Lycoming O-360 series engine. The maintenance logbooks for the airplane were not recovered, but copies of logbook entries revealed the airplane's most recent annual inspection was completed May 8, 2015, at 2,239 total aircraft hours. On February 9, 2016, the engine oil was changed at 2,272 total aircraft hours.

The airplane was recovered from the Gulf of Mexico and moved to a secure facility for a detailed examination at a later date. According to the FAA inspector on site during the recovery, the airplane was destroyed by impact forces. Except for a large section of the right wing, all major components of the airplane were accounted for. The engine, with the propeller attached, was completely entangled with the instrument panel, control cables, and wiring. All damage appeared consistent with impact and overload.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email,  and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

No comments: