Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Qantas pilot believed to have deliberately crashed Cessna 172L (VH-XZZ) into sea off Byron Bay

Paul Whyte.

The pilot who is believed to have deliberately crashed his light aircraft into the ocean was employed flying jets for Qantas.

Struggling with a broken marriage, Paul Whyte rented a light aircraft from a flying club in Lismore, made one final phone call to his daughters and disappeared into the ocean six nautical miles offshore from Byron Bay late on Monday afternoon.

Authorities refused to provide any details of the tragedy, a move which has infuriated Northern Rivers Aero Club president Bill Kiernan, the man who leased the aircraft to Mr Whyte.

Mr Kiernan told The Gold Coast Bulletin the Australian and International Pilots Association had tried to silence him, warning him not to tell anyone Mr Whyte was a Qantas pilot.

“I was warned not to say he flew for Qantas but I told them I’ll say whatever I want, because it was the truth,” he said.

“I won’t be (expletive) over by a bunch of bureaucrats.

“They need to face up to reality.

“The family knows what is going on and the worst thing about this is the innuendo — it is better to put the bullshit to rest.”

Police say he sent one final text message to his family as he plunged his Cessna 172 into a death-spiral into the waters off northern NSW.

Paul Whyte.

Qantas went silent, initially refusing to even confirm Mr Whyte worked for them.

Yesterday the national carrier eventually conceded he was employed by them but still refused to reveal when the troubled father of two last commanded a commercial flight.

Qantas also refused to answer questions about how the company looked for warning signs that pilots were flying while mentally unstable.

Yesterday the family home looked to be deserted, with the windows covered with cardboard.

A note pinned to the front door said, “Family are requesting privacy at this very sad time.”.

The revelations come one year after pilot Andreas Lubitz killed 150 people by intentionally crashing a Germanwings plane near the French Alps.

Mr Whyte’s Cessna 172 left Lismore at 4.20pm and AirServices Australia lost contact with it about 4.50pm.

NSW police believe the plane hit the ocean at “high speed” and will prepare a report for the coroner.

They also confirmed the death was “not suspicious”.

Richmond Local Area Command chief inspector Cameron Lindsay said the search for the wreckage would be difficult.

“What we’ve been told by experts is the plane was travelling at a very high speed when it impacted the water,” he said.

“It’s in a very deep part of the ocean there and is beyond the capabilities of the police divers, so now we have to look at the use of submersible vehicles.”

Mr Whyte told News Corp reporters nine years ago he moved from Sydney to a small duplex in Lennox Head to escape the rat race and “live in a society”.

Sadly, in the past 12 months he separated from his wife and moved into a rented home a few streets away from the family home.

His new next-door neighbours said they could often hear him swimming in the pool with his daughters on the rare occasion he was home.

The last person to see Mr Whyte alive described the him as “calm” and “relaxed” before he boarded the light aircraft.

Northern Rivers Aero Club pilot trainer Bob Snape said Mr Whyte casually strolled towards the runway in the afternoon, making small talk about his children.

“He was running late because he was on the phone to his daughter,” he said.

“He was really calm and relaxed and we were just casually chatting about other pilots we knew.

“It was the first time I met him but he seemed like a nice guy.”

Original article can be found here:

No comments: